These days, we’re all very aware of our home’s security and want to ensure that it’s safe 24/7. But when it comes to making our homes less attractive to burglars, a lot of us don’t know where to start.
Check out these tips from professional locksmiths for keeping your home safe and secure.
Windows can be a prime target for unwanted visitors who want to get into your property. There are a few simple steps you can take to deter burglars from getting through your windows:
- Close curtains and blinds when you’re not home to stop people from looking in.
- Lock windows when you leave, even if you’re not going out for long.
- Buy thumb turn window locks for windows if their lock mechanism isn’t very good.
- Lock up any ladders, chairs and tools to prevent access to your windows.
Doors can become vulnerable to burglars if they aren’t kept secure. Take these pieces of advice from locksmiths to improve your door’s security:
- Every exterior door should have a deadbolt installed.
- Ensure the door jambs are reinforced with wood and long screws – this will protect the door if it’s pried open or kicked in.
- You could replace screen doors with security doors made of steel.
It’s common to give a key to your neighbour, but locksmiths recommend not doing this.
It’s better to keep spare keys in a locking box mounted to a door or your garage which can only be opened with a code. Consider these other safety measures for controlling your keys:
- Never leave your house keys unattended.
- Don’t leave your keys out in the open when you’re shopping or socialising.
Whether you rent or own your home, consider taking some of these security measures.
Some locksmiths will provide a security survey for your property, so if you have concerns think about getting some quotes from reliable locksmiths to help you feel safe in your home.